Wednesday, 1 June 2016

Klampenborg: Sea, Amusement Park and Deers




This winter, we spent a week in Denmark, therefore we were excited to hop on a train in Copenhagen and head to the Danish suburbs. So, that's what we did! After the 30 minutes long ride, we finally got off the train in Klampenborg, and spent our whole day here.




SEA
I've never seen the beach in such a freezing cold weather. I usually associate beaches with Mediterranean plants, palm trees, super soft white sand and summer weather. Now, I was really excited about all the icicles on the rocks, the frozen waves and plants, and all the snow around us - while Scandinavian people were still swimming in the sea, then and there. I was shocked! I have written about our trip to the beach already, here.






AMUSEMENT PARK - BAKKEN

 Bakken is a little walk from both the train station and the beach. Bakken is only open during the summer months, but in case you are not interested in a ride, you can walk into the park for free, during any season, and see this magical place for youself - without the crowd of tourists! 

 


 Bakken is the world's oldest amusement park, and has been operating ever since 1583! It's huge, with lots of amenities, roller coasters, games and restaurants. You can buy hot dogs, cotton candy, hamburgers and sandwiches from street food vendors, as well as Danish beer. 
 It looked a bit like winter wonderland. Everything looked absolutely charming, with all the wooden ornaments, the lovely colours and all the snow. I bet it looks fantastic during a summer night!









DYREHAVEN
 From Bakken, it took quite a while to the deer park, a huge natural forest, a world heritage site, with about 2100 deers in total (Fallow, Red, Sika). A great symbol of Dyrehaven is the royal hunting lodge, The Hermitage. 


 I was really excited to see deers in person, without a fence between us. We've been walking around the wonderful forest for hours, when I was about to give up, and I felt really disappointed. In that exact moment, my boyfriend pointed at a further point of the park, and we heard a strange noise as well - we saw about a hundred deers running across the hill! We tried to follow them, which wasn't very successful, but along the way, there was another group of about fifty deers crossing our path. As we headed to the royal hunting lodge, we saw a lot more of them, now even closer. 


This part of the park was a bit busy, people were riding horses here, doing sports, walking around the place, even having picnic. As we walked down from the hill of the Hermitage, in direction of the sea, we were surprised to see lots of groups of deers (about thirty in each group), just a few meters from us, laying on the path we were supposed to walk along. We weren't sure if any of us was afraid of the other, or if we were supposed to walk past them, so that we'd be in the middle of their group, but we did! They were surely used to people, though, they didn't let us go very near, but it was a fantastic experience, and we loved Dyrehaven even more than we could have imagined!








Have you been to Denmark? Do you have a favourite place in the country?

12 comments:

  1. I only recently went to Copenhagen and that was my first trip to Denmark, but now I'm really keen to see more of it! This place looks so cute. I love the deer parks around us in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to a deer park in the UK, but I'll definitely visit one when I'm there. I guess we both need to go back to the wonderful Denmark someday!

      Delete
  2. the deers are so cute:) nice place! #travellinkup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dyrehaven looks amazing. Looking forward to visiting Denmark some day. Thanks for sharing this at #travellinkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denmark has so much to offer! Hope you'll manage to visit Dyrehaven some day :)

      Delete
  4. What an interesting day! It looks very cold indeed but worth it for seeing the deer and the photo opportunities in the theme park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never been that cold ever before! But it was definitely worth it :)

      Delete
  5. Denmark in winter is pure magic. My husband and I went to Denmark kind of at the last minute over the winter, but we didn't do much outside of Copenhagen. I would love to go back and explore more -- it looks like there is so much more to see! I love that people in Denmark truly embrace winter and don't let the cold stop them from anything. It's a lesson I took with me and tried to remember all winter long when I got home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what we experienced! I also loved that Danish people smiled at us ALL the time! They surely are the positivest of all :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Emma! Denmark definitely took our breath away :)

      Delete

Social Media