Monday, 23 May 2016

The (almost) English Date




Remember when I cheated on London with Copenhagen? It seems as if I still don't treat England very well... Because of my exams and my studies, I had to postpone our English date, so I'm cooking both England and India in May. I also cheated a little bit (an other way) when I decided about what to prepare.
None of these meals are traditionally English, as far as I know, maybe the shepherd's pie, which I'd already prepared for the Irish date, but my boyfriend fell in love with it and wanted me to cook it anyway. 

The Menu:
  • English Spring Pea Salad
  • Shepherd's Pie
  • Earl Grey Chocolate Cake
  • Apple Cider
  • Afternoon Tea



English Spring Pea Salad
To prepare this salad, I used this amazing recipe. I changed a few things, but it all depends on your taste: I used a lot less mayonnaise than the recipe says, and a bit more bacon and blue cheese. It's really easy to prepare, doesn't take long, and we are both still under its charm!


Shepherd's Pie

I heated two tablespoons of olive oil, then poured 500 grams of minced meat into the pan, and seasoned it with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, then added one finely chopped onion and another finely chopped carrot. After a few minutes, I stirred in two tablespoons of tomato paste, poured 250 ml of red wine to the pan, and cooked it until most of the liquid evaporated. Then, I poured 200 ml of broth over it, and cooked for an additional 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, I prepared mashed potato out of 1 kg of potato.  I finely chopped all the potatoes, then cooked it for 20 minutes. Afterwards, I poured off all the water, and mashed the potatoes, then added two egg yolks, 50 grams of butter, some grated cheddar, and a pinch of salt.
I poured the mixture with the meat into a baking dish, then covered it with mashed potato. I grated cheese on top, and baked it for 20 minutes, 180°C.





Earl Grey Chocolate Cake
I heated 50 ml of milk, and added a tablespoon of Earl Grey tea leaves, then set it aside. Over boiling water, I melted 140 grams of dark chocolate and 100 grams of butter, then added some salt, cinnamon, and stirred in 3 egg yolks and 80 grams of finely chopped walnut. I also mixed in the milk. I beated all 3 egg whites with 80 grams of sugar until fluffy, then carefully combined the two mixtures. I baked it in a greased cake mold for 30 minutes, at 180°C.





Do you have a favourite English meal?

2 comments:

Social Media