Sunday, 3 April 2016

The Smell of Travelling



My boyfriend and I always smell everything we touch - we smell meals on the plate, chocolate bars from the corner shop, juices that we sip, flowers in a garden, clothes that we put on, and objects we see: old books and new, postcards and ink. 
 Thanks to this month's travel link-up, now I had to think of what travelling smells like, and it was rather difficult to do so!



To me, my home country, Hungary, smells so many ways: Budapest smells like thermal water (maybe I swim too much?), the Balaton-region smells of summer: BBQ-parties, a natural lake, sun cream and beer. And Tihany, well, it of course smells of lavender! Most of the country smells like forests with crunchy leaves, mud and wild animals.



Vienna is almost equal to Christmas in my mind: it smells like roasted chestnut, and Glühwein, to me, but mostly Glühwein! Though, Austria's signature scnet must be pineforests, fresh mountain air and turqoise lakes.. something cool, like mint, but something lovely, too, like vanilla!


When you say Belgium, I say daffodils! Brussels may smell of waffels, that I don't mind at all, but daffodils!


Croatia always makes me think of olive groves that I'm so fond of! Now that I think of it, I can also smell that perfect icecream I had there.


Denmark is so many things I can hardly describe. Maybe crisp and salty fresh air, the smell of fish and wonderful vegetables.. a mixture that I'm truly in love with.


Oh, and my beloved England! England definitely smells of history (yes, I consider that a scent!), old book pages, roses, freshly-mown grass, the smell after rain. The countryside smells of real creamy tea, and Brighton is salt and vinegar, yes. Vinegar probably is not your favourite scent, but it goes so well with this adorable beach town and the salty air.


France, of course, smells of lavender, but Paris has something more.. and that's probably the mixture of perfumes. France smells really sweet!


Venice was the easiest to me: it really smells like freshly-caught fish! You just have to walk around town, and take a deep breath near the markets, and you will see what I'm talking about.


Montenegro's signature scent must be figs. It's everywhere. It must be!


Now, try to prescind from weed, and smell Amsterdam! Because when you manage to truly do so, you will be able to smell beautiful tulips and the scent of the huge amount of mouth-watering cheese. These two must be some of my favourite things in the whole world!


And lastly, Zakopane.. Zakopane, that smells perfectly like pineforests. And wood.



To me, in general, travelling is the smell of my old leather backpack, the smell of his skin. The smell of jet fuel and gasoline. Travelling smells like freshly-picked apples, light rains, freshly-mown grass. It smells like gluten-free crisps that I'm getting tired of, wine, old books and maps, fresh linen. It smells like delicious candlelit dinners on the seaside, that I can't afford to taste (yet!), a pair of trainers, the smell of salty water and fish when collecting seashells, sand on my feet, band-aids, and coconut-scented shower gel. 


What do you think travelling smells like?

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful descriptions of smells! Love your descriptions of the smells of travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of our next trips is to Budapest and this has me SO excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, I'm sure you'll love it here, Emma! Budapest has so much to offer :)

      Delete
  3. Haven't been to most of the places you listed, but so interesting to see what those cities represent in terms of scent! will definitely remember them when I get around to visiting them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alexandra! I'm sure you'd love these places :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness you have brought back so many wonderful trip memories with this post, to Copenhagen, Venice, Budapest and more! Thank you for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I did :) Thank you for your lovely comment, Jessi!

      Delete
  6. You've been to such wonderful places! I love that you think of daffodils in Belgium :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, daffodils go so well with the red brickwalls of Belgium, and they are everywhere! Thanks for your comment, Eppie :)

      Delete

Social Media