Thursday, 7 April 2016

The Irish Date



When I made the list of all the national dishes I wanted to prepare, I was sure I'd cook Ireland in March.. I guess it's pretty obvious, why!
I was really excited for this month, and I was also really pleased with how it turned out.. I guess I'm a little bit proud of that.
The difficult part of all this is that I can hardly find the time to cook, as I'm really busy with both work and my studies, but there's only a little bit left until summer!
Also, please appreciate that I finally didn't forget to charge my camera.


The Menu:

  • Popcorn with Spinach Dip
  • Shepherd's Pie
  • Irish Potato Candy
  • Red Wine





Popcorn with Spinach Dip
I'm a big fan of popcorn, and I also like to use it as an appetizer or side dish, so that's my explanation.
 I grated two cloves of garlic, and cooked a handful of well-chopped spinach. I let it cool, then mixed them all together with a cup of greek yoghurt. That's it.



Shepherd's PieI heated two tablespoons of olive oil, then poured 500 grams of minced meat into the pan, and seasoned it with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, then added one finely chopped onion and another finely chopped carrot. After a few minutes, I stirred in two tablespoons of tomato paste, poured 250 ml of red wine to the pan, and cooked it until most of the liquid evaporated. Then, I poured 200 ml of broth over it, and cooked for an additional 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, I prepared mashed potato out of 1 kg of potato.  I finely chopped all the potatoes, then cooked it for 20 minutes. Afterwards, I poured off all the water, and mashed the potatoes, then added two egg yolks, 50 grams of butter, some grated cheddar, and a pinch of salt.
I poured the mixture with the meat into a baking dish, then covered it with mashed potato. I grated cheese on top, and baked it for 20 minutes, 180°C.



Irish PotatoesI used this recipe. I only used half of the given amount of sugar, and added an additional spoonful of cream cheese. I left out the butter, but added a little green almond extract to the mixture, for the colour.


Do you have a favourite Irish dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media