Thursday, 7 January 2016

The Russian Date


On the last day of 2015, I decided to begin the celebration of New Year's Eve with cooking something great, and eat before we drink. I actually chose Russia to be our December date because of the movie Anastasia, and because I can also only imagine ourselves visiting Moscow or Saint Petersburg in the winter months. Can't wait!

But, until then, we wanted to enjoy their cuisine at home, and fortunately, he also insisted on preparing for the last date of 2015 together.
My resolutions for 2016 should definitely include improving my food photography skills.. 

I need to admit, I was kinda scared about this Russian date, as I couldn't quite imagine how it would turn out, but I was super happy with the results, and I'm happy he picked Stroganoff as the main course, and I'm proud of myself for choosing these sweet biscuits from Moscow, as we fell in love with both! I'm sure we will prepare both of these again.



The Menu:

  • Caviar and Salty Biscuits
  • Beef Stroganoff and Rice
  • Sweet Biscuits from Moscow
  • Champagne



  1. Beef Stroganoff

    Honestly, before we started cooking, I had no idea what Stroganoff was. When he put the ingredients on the counter, I started getting excited about it.
    We cut thin slices of about 650 grams of beef, and quickly fried them on 2-2 tablespoons of both olive oil and butter. We put aside the meat, but used up the dripping: we fried one diced onion, a few stripes of bacon, and about 250 grams of mushroom in it. We added one tablespoon of rice flour, some salt and pepper. We mixed in the meat again with the mushrooms, and added 2-3 thinly sliced pickles. After a few minutes, we stirred in two tablespoons of mustard, and a cup of sour cream. It was perfect!

  2. Sweet Biscuits from Moscow

    I mixed together 150 grams of chopped walnut, zest of two oranges, 100 grams of sugar, 60 grams of butter, 100 ml of cream and a teaspoon of cinnamon, then brought the mixture to boil. After that, I removed it from the heat, and mixed in a tablespoon of rice flour. I put little portions on a baking sheet, then baked for a bit more then 10 minutes, 170°C. I let them cool, and covered one side of the biscuits with melted chocolate, and let them cool again.





Do you have a favourite Russian meal?




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you sure had a lovely meal and date! I have had Russian food once a long time ago and don't remember what. That means I should find a place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely find somewhere to eat Russian, it's an other world :)

      Delete

Social Media