Friday, 22 January 2016

The Austrian Date


2016's very first date was Austrian themed, with which I surprised him after his very last exam of the semester. I was really excited for Austria, as I like to consider myself a half-Austrian, who left a bit of her heart there, by the wonderful turquoise lakes, the huge snow-capped mountains, and amazing pineforests.
I was really happy that I could finally take my time to prepare all the meals, not in a hurry, and just enjoy the whole process.

The Menu:
  • Viennese Potato Soup
  • Kärtner Kasnudeln
  • Germknödel
  • A Glass of Almdudler



  1. Viennese Potato SoupWell, I have to admit that I forgot to buy mushrooms, so I had to leave it out, but the recipe says you need some of them in the soup.
    I finely diced 200 grams of potato, and cooked it. Meanwhile, I chopped 1 onion, 50 grams of bacon, 1 clove of garlic, and sautéd them in a few tablespoons of coconut oil, then sprinkled a bit of rice flour on top.
    I prepared 1 1/4 litres of broth, then I poured a cup of it and half of the potatoes into a blender for a creamy result. I mixed in about 2-3 tablespoons of sour cream, then mixed together all parts of the soup, and seasoned with salt, pepper, and marjoram.

  2. Kärtner Kasnudeln
    For the main course, I used this recipe. I used 200 grams of gluten-free flour mix and 100 grams of rice flour. It worked well. I used olive oil for a better and healthies taste. I'd recommend a bit more sour cream and more potatoes.
  3. Germknödel
    Again, I used 300 grams of flour (gluten-free flour mix), added 13 grams of yeast powder, 1.5 tablespoon of sugar, 200 ml of warm milk, 40 ml of water, a tablespoon of vanillin sugar, grated lemon zest, and kneaded the dough for a little while. Then, let it sit for an hour.
    After that, I rolled the dough out, and cut 6 pieces. I put plum jam in the middle of them, then made balls with oily hands. I put them in colanders above boiling water, covered them, and left them in the steam for half an hour. I served them with vanilla custard and ground poppy seeds on top.




Have you ever tasted Austrian food? Do you have a favourite?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media