Saturday, 5 December 2015

Viennese Christmas Market


I'm a huge fan of Christmas, I love everything in connection with this holiday, and I'm the kind of person to prepare as much as possible for the holidays. I love decorating, preparing handmade gifts, cook and bake, drink mulled wine, listen to Christmas songs, take a walk in the snow fall and admire the lights on the houses.


Austria is very special to me, as part of my family comes from this country, and it has also an awesome lot to offer. It's just the bonus that it is a neighbouring country of Hungary, so that I could travel to Vienna several times. If you're interested in a post on Vienna, look no further.

 The Viennese Christmas Market is very popular for a reason. There are markets all over the city, and these markets offer a lot for a visitor.
 You can taste lots of drinks and foods, just like mulled wine, mulled cider with whiskey, punsch, lots of sausages, frankfurters, hot dogs, caramel apples, spiralkartoffel and roasted chestnut.. well, the sky's the limit!

These markets also look adorable, with their small wooden houses, offering sweets, colourful little toys, handmade goods, and technically everything you could think of. 


 Hundertwasserhaus

I'm starting with mentioning a place off the beaten track, an odd one out: Hundertwasser. It's away from the city centre, and it's a small indoor area, but it's also part of it all! You will see why it's not like any other market in the Austrian capital, but at the same time, it's really special and cozy.


Schönbrunn









Rathausplatz

This is one of the main markets, and absolutely a must-see! I mean, could you say no to seeing this?




Christmas Village at Maria Theresien Platz





Karlskirche





Graben








I guess it's obvious, but I need to mention that I'm soo in love with Vienna during the festive season! The wonderful decorations, the amazing smells, the perfect flavours and the view of the city just melts my heart. 

Some gluten-free treats to mention:
  • Roasted chestnut
  • Spiralkartoffel in Schönbrunn
  • Caramel apples
  • Chocolate-covered goods
  • and of course, mulled wine, cider and punsch!



Have you been to the Viennese Christmas Market? Do you love this festive season? :)

2 comments:

  1. Such a nice post! It brought me back to a lovely holiday in this stunning city! I really liked the pictures you shared, especially the B&W one with the carriage!!

    https://pandaonavespa.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I could bring back some great memories! Thank you so much for your lovely comment :)

      Delete

Social Media