Thursday, 10 December 2015

Best DIY-Gifts for Travellers


In my family, we often give each other handmade gifts, and I'm very happy I found a guy who likes to surprise me with things made by him, and who loves to receive things I made for him with much love. I've always preferred this kind of gifts, and it has less to do with the price, and a lot more to do with the fact that a DIY-gift is so much more personal, and it feels really good to know that our loved ones took the time to prepare something special for us! Here are some of my favourite ideas for travel-lovers.





neck pillow


I made a neck pillow for my boyfriend last Christmas, and I need to tell you, I'm very proud of how it turned out (see it above)! He really loves octopuses, and he was also in need of a comfy neck pillow, so in this one gift, this two met. Such a pillow is always appreciated by travellers!

You can find plenty of patterns on the internet, or you could make up your own!

sleep mask

I've never had a sleep mask, but I've been thinking about getting one for a few months now. During the festive season, and preparing lots of DIY-gifts, I decided to sew a sleep mask for myself! I haven't started yet, but I'm really excited about doing it. You could easily draw a pattern yourself, and then customise it according to the likes of the gifted person (or yourself)!


travel journal

I've never met a traveller without a travel journal - everyone likes collecting memories, tickets, receipts or postcards, and a journal is perfect to store all of these. You could just buy a plain book or scrapbook, and then decorate it as you like, and even write some nice words or trvel quotes inside!

luggage tag

I really like luggage tags, because they are not only fun and good to see, but they are also useful when trying to find your luggage in the crowd. You could order plain luggage tags from here, and then decorate and personalize them as you like!



passport holder


This might be a little more difficult than all the others, but not necessarily. You could use any material to cover the passport, but I would recommend leather, as it would last longer, and it also looks great! Your pattern should be a little bigger than the passport, so that you can cover it nicely. Here is a great tutorial.


handmade soap

A handmade soap could not only be a lovely personalised gift, but in a travel size, it could also come very handy (haha). You can buy raw materials at craft stores.


personalised globe

I hope it's not just me, but I would be so happy to receive any of those wonderfully decorated, painted and personalised globes! You could paint it with scrath-off paint, chalkboard paint, or decorate it with photos and small charms - whatever you like! For decorating ideas, get some inspiration here, on Pinterest.

travel-themed shadow box

Travellers surely like decorating their homes with their travels, so a shadow box would be a perfect gift filled with tickets, souvenirs, photos and postcards! You could use scrapbooking supplies to decorate the insides, and some nice colours to paint the frame.


Do you like preparing gifts for your loved ones, or you'd rather buy the presents? What would you add to the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media