Thursday, 23 July 2015

The Caribbean Date


On our anniversary, I surprised my boyfriend with a Caribbean-themed picnic, at our favourite spot. His gift included a 'passport', which means that in the following 12 months I'll cook him a country's national dishes on a date night, and I'll try my best to set the atmosphere, too.


 This time, I used a blue checked tablecloth, lots of seashells, coconut shells, and other DIY-decorations.




The Menu:
  • crystal clear spring water
  • coconut-lemon chicken skewers with fruit
  • perfect picnic side dish: popcorn
  • Caribbean rice pudding with fruit and chocolate 
  • coconut-lemon pie

  1. Coconut-lemon chicken

    I used this recipe, but I changed a few things. I used lemon instead of lime, and a bit more than the recipe says. I left out the soy sauce, since that's not glutenfree. Instead of Panko breadcrumbs, I used crumbs of glutenfree Abonett crispbread, and somewhat less than the recipe says, but I used more coconut shreds. I only baked it for like 20 minutes.
     It tasted amazing! We loved it soo much!
     I put it on the skewers with (baked) tropical fruit like pineapple, mango, papaya, and also some thin slices of paprika, but I would totally try it with lemon or lime slices!

  2. Caribbean rice pudding with fruit


    I cooked 150 gr rice in 200 ml water. After that, I stirred in 50 gr of butter, a tablespoon of rum, 2 tablespoons of sugar, a pinch of cinnamon and 1/2 litre of milk. I cooked it until the rice absorbed all the milk. At the end of the process, I stirred in my fruit slices: pineapple, mango, papaya, and two mashed bananas. I served it in a seashell, and decorated with sexy chocolate women!

  3. Coconut-lemon pie
    The pie crust: I mixed the following ingredients: 150 gr butter, 250 gr rice flour, 30 gr sugar, a pinch of baking soda, some water (you will see how much the mixture will need). Kneaded the dough.  Afterwards, I put the dough into a pie dish, and formed the crust with my hands. I baked it in the oven at 180°, for 10 minutes.
     The filling: I mixed 120 ml lemon juice, 390 g condensed milk (I looked up a recipe and did my own!), 3 egg yolks, and coconut shreds (as much as you like, I used about 100-150 g).
     Pour it on top of the crust, and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
    (Un)fortunately, the pie disappeared before I could take a photo of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media